25 June 2014, LIBRARY – Starting from the 24th until 26th of this month, our school will be holding a three days activities for the Students’ Peer Counsellor (Pembimbing Rakan Sebaya) from schools in Cluster 3. I was able to interview the School Counsellor, Cikgu Hj Ahmad Shahrin the man in-charge to find out more about this activity.
1. What is this program about?
This is a program jointly organised with Counselling & Careers Section, School Department, Ministry of Education and Counsellors of Cluster 3. And the aim is to instill a greater sense of helping and group-work amongst the Student Peer Counsellors. There is an annual theme, where this year it addresses “Pelajar Beriman, Negara Aman”, meaning “With faithful students, we can have a peaceful nation”
2. Who is it for?
It is aimed at Student Peer Counsellors, so as to help them to overcome their fears of interacting with others and try to approach their peers & friends who may be experiencing problems whether at home, or with their studies and all in all to make them (S.P.C.) more approachable by other students.
3. What are you trying to achieve?
To help them to be a whole person, by trying to help their friends and in doing so also helping them see the enjoyment of helping others and be an altruistic individual. Rather than students focusing wholly on their studies and forgetting about their peers and teachers.
4. Who are involved?
The participants involved are Student Peer Counsellors from Cluster 3, ranging from nearby secondary schools such as SM Sayy. Umar Al Khattab, SM Sayy. Hasan in Tanjung Bunut, SM Masin in Kampung Masin, SM Rimba, SM Rimba II both located in Kampung Rimba, SM Sayy. Husain, Jerudong and our school being the host school Sekolah Menengah Awang Semaun located in Kampung Sungai Kebun.
5. How long is it going to be?
The program started on the afternoon of Monday, 23rd June and will last til Thursday, 26th June 2014.
6. How is the feedback so far?
The students are having lots of fun with the program so far together with the entertainment provided by the many counsellors from Cluster3. The idea was so that students will not have to forsake their academic or curriculum time and that is why the program was held basically in the afternoons of Monday until Thursday.
7. Are you planning to do this on a larger scale?
This was earlier planned by the Counselling & Careers Section together with Counsellors of Cluster3 and each of the differing clusters 1 to 6 have a their own such course.
8. What’s your plan for the future?
This is an annual item for the Counselling & Careers Section of the Schools Department, with their aim to see that students be more whole, and not just focusing too much on their academics but also on their ability to socially interact with others around them.
In mid-August, there will be an advanced course planned for students really excelling at getting and approaching student clients and the program will be held at Sekolah Menengah Rimba II, in sha Allah.
Photos by Najib HM
- Kursus Kepimpinan bagi MPP 2015 - March 26, 2015
- SESI PERJUMPAAN PROGRAM MP3 (KOHOT 2) - February 2, 2015
- Parent-Teacher Meet - January 24, 2015
- CYBERCRIME TALK IN SMAS - January 15, 2015
- CCA ORIENTATION DAY REGISTER STUDENTS TO CLUBS - January 12, 2015
- Md Hafiz bin Bakri - January 10, 2015
- SMAS EYEING 30% 5-CREDIT ACHIEVERS FOR 2015 - January 9, 2015
- Immersing SMAS Culture - January 7, 2015
- SMAS JOINS NATION IN MAULIDURRASUL MASS PROCESSION - January 5, 2015
- Donation for Pusat Ehsan and SMARTER - December 18, 2014